Infusion Therapy Plus
Option Care delivers comprehensive nutrition support across pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients. Our expert team provides home parenteral nutrition and enteral nutrition support for numerous acute and chronic conditions negatively affecting nutritional status, such as stroke, cancer, and gastrointestinal diseases.
Fully staffed, locally based nutrition support care across 50+ NS Centers of Excellence nationwide
Our nutrition leadership team has more than 125 years of collective experience providing home nutrition support. To meet our exceptionally high standards of care, we have nutrition support experts throughout the country.1 Every Nutrition Center of Excellence has certified Nutrition Support Clinicians on staff. Nationwide, that includes more than 1,800 clinicians and 100 registered dietitians. Our Nutrition Centers of Excellence are required to publish original research every 3 years, provide continuing education programs for our staff, and stay involved in local patient support groups.
Demonstrated industry leader in nutrition support
Time-saving intake coordination
Option Care is there from initial contact to assess nutritional status, home environment, and patient capabilities. Our Early Intervention Home Tube Feeding Program can help bridge potential gaps in care by providing financial screening, individualized nutrition assessments, and patient education before tube placement. Our insurance and reimbursement specialists handle eligibility verifications and secure authorizations for patients. Option Care is a Medicare contract provider of enteral nutrition services and supplies.
Individualized care plans
Option Care provides high-touch, personalized care that is anchored by a dedicated local registered dietitian and a team rounded out by infusion nurses, pharmacists, and clinical liaisons. Every patient receives a disease-specific customized care plan that is focused solely on meeting the therapeutic goals of the patient and his or her care team. Following this multidisciplinary team approach to nutrition support has been well-documented to improve both clinical and financial outcomes.
Clinical monitoring and reporting
Our ongoing patient evaluation process promotes compliance and enables early identification of potential complications. Option Care prepares comprehensive nutrition assessments for healthcare providers, supplying them with recommendations for formulas, formula calculation and tracking, and patient status reports.
Long-term support and education
In addition to offering equipment and supplies, Option Care provides patients and caregivers with education and training on how to effectively use equipment and supplies. We are dedicated to transitioning patients to the least invasive and most cost-effective nutrition support therapy that is clinically appropriate for their situation.
Our dietitians provide comprehensive nutrition assessments as well as educate, monitor and manage patients. Their expertise makes Option Care the strongest choice for Nutrition Support nationwide.
-Kelly Kinnare, Clinical Nutrition Manager
Avoiding costly hospitalizations
Across both enteral and parenteral nutrition therapy, Option Care’s services and high standards have been shown to prevent hospitalizations and reduce costs. Our ongoing, proactive patient evaluation promotes compliance and enables early identification of potential problems. Option Care recommends home nutrition interventions to manage hyperglycemia or electrolyte imbalance, prevent dehydration, and reduce/eliminate diarrhea.
Option Care’s HPEN interventions prevent hospitalizations and reduce costs 2
Our methodologies cover the important details that help reduce line infections, prevent hospitalization, and wean clinically appropriate patients off therapies sooner.
- HPN care helps patients avoid, on average, a 3-day hospitalization, which realizes nearly $2,000/day in cost savings. Option Care’s expert HPN initiation provides greater convenience and comfort for patients. Patients also experienced fewer nosocomial infections 3, 4
- Our proactive approach to safe and monitored HPN reduced weaning time by 35% (49 days with published guidelines vs 32 days with Option Care)5
- Our quality care results in only 0.05 line infections per 1,000 catheter days 6
We provide home nutrition support to treat a wide range of conditions, including but not limited to:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Bowel obstructions
- Crohn’s disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Short bowel syndrome (SBS)
- Trauma to digestive tract
- Ulcerative colitis
Option Care Health, formerly Option Care and BioScrip, is an official ambassador of ASPEN’s Malnutrition AwarenessWeek™. Malnutrition Awareness Week™ is a mark of the American Society for Parenteral andEnteral Nutrition (ASPEN). Used with permission from ASPEN.
1. Data on file, Option Care. 2. Poster analysis of current HPEN monitoring. 3. Shelley S. Home-infusion providers struggle with unfriendly reimbursement policies. Pharm Commerce. October 10, 2009.http://pharmaceuticalcommerce.com/brand-marketing-communications/home-infusion-providers-struggle-with-unfriendly-reimbursement-policies. Accessed January 8, 2015. 4. Luszcz N, Wagner P, Kennedy S. Positive outcomes demonstrated from PN weaning initiated by the dietitian of a home nutrition support team. Poster presented at: Clinical Nutrition Week; February 14-17, 2015; Long Beach, CA. 5. Luszcz N, Barron A, Patel S. Positive outcomes demonstrated from PN weaning initiated by the dietitian of a home nutrition support team. Poster presented at: 2014 National Home Infusion Association Conference & Exposition; March 31-April 3, 2014; Orlando, FL. 6. Review of Option Care patient data, December 2013-February 2014. Based on a review of 3,895 patients representing 204,253 catheter days.
Sign up for updates.
Sign up to receive more information and periodic updates about Option Care.