Option Care is a healthcare services company that at its core delivers high quality, cost effective infusion services through trusted partnerships across the healthcare system, resulting in outcomes that make a positive difference in people’s lives.
Job Description Summary:
A Pharmacy Technician I assists the pharmacist with providing safe and appropriate pharmacy services to Option Care patients in accordance with the policies and procedures of Option Care, the state’s professional standards, and other regulatory entities. The Pharmacy Technician I works under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist and assists with the preparation, packing and delivery of products and services to Option Care patients.
- Performs the following tasks in a correct and timely fashion under the supervision of a pharmacist: Contacts patients and/or caregivers to schedule a delivery and determine supply needs; Picks and packs medical supplies to fill patient orders; Accurately dispenses products in the computer system to generate a delivery ticket and/or prescription labels; Confirms delivery tickets after delivery
- Assists the pharmacist with the preparation and dispensing of medications and supplies using appropriate techniques and following Option Care policies and procedures. Accurately calibrates equipment. Assists with recording and maintaining pharmacy temperature and cleaning logs. Ensures that all pharmacy surfaces, laminar flow hoods and clean room are cleaned per Option Care policy. Understands and can perform basic pharmaceutical calculations in order to obtain correct doses of medications. Prepares medications under the supervision of a pharmacist so they are accurately compounded. Ensures that a licensed pharmacist properly checks all compounding and packing. Adheres to appropriate safety and quality assurance practices. Complies with state and federal laws.
- Assists with product purchasing, inventory and equipment management. Orders the correct drug products from the wholesale company if requested. Knowledgeable of various vendors and where to get different supplies, medications and clean room needs. Verifies the accuracy of product orders received. Checks prices against contract and in the schedule of charges. Complies with the Option Care formulary. Cleans and tests infusion pumps. Assists with the system of tracking infusion pumps and medical equipment.
- Speaks knowledgeably of the scope of services that are available through Option Care. Understands basic drug terminology and therapies/services provided. Understands other areas of Option Care and what scope of service the company has to offer.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and proprietary information. Observes legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary Option Care information. Understands and complies with HIPPA.
- Participates in the process for assessing, managing, and reporting medication-related incidents and equipment error and/or failures. Accurately completes QAR forms and forwards them to the supervising pharmacist.
- In all activities, complies with accreditation, legal, regulatory, and safety requirements.
- Participates in on-call responsibilities of the pharmacy department if required.
Basic Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year of experience as a Pharmacy technician.
Basic Qualifications & Interests:
- Access to a reliable means of transportation which will enable the incumbents to make home visits to treat/attend to their patients. If such means of transportation would include a personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license and a proof of insurance would be required.
- Experience providing customer service to internal and external customers, including meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
Travel Requirements: Willing to travel up to 5 % of the time for business purposes (within state).
Preferred Qualifications & Interests:
- Experience working in an infusion or hospital pharmacy. Certification as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Required certification as a Pharmacy Technician as granted by the Board of Pharmacy.
This job description is to be used as a guide for accomplishing Company and department objectives, and only covers the primary functions and responsibilities of the position. It is in no way to be construed as an all-encompassing list of duties.
Option Care subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, making employment available without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status according to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.